Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (plus the additional ingredients needed to make the cake, depending on the mix)
- 2 (3.4 oz) packages of instant banana pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 3 ripe bananas, diced
- 1 (8 oz) tub of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 20 vanilla wafers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C.
- Prepare the yellow cake mix according to the package instructions. Baked in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Allow the cake to cool, then use the handle of a wooden spoon or the fat end of a chopstick to poke holes all over the cake.
- In a medium bowl, combine the banana pudding mix and milk. Whisk until it’s smooth and starting to thicken.
- Pour the pudding evenly over the cake. Place the cake in refrigerator until the pudding is completely set.
- Sprinkle the diced bananas over the top of the pudding layer and spread the whipped topping over the top.
- Place the vanilla wafers in a resealable plastic bag and crush them gently with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle the crushed wafers over the whipped topping and serve.
- The cake can be prepared in advance up to the whipped topping layer, but to ensure that the vanilla wafers don’t get soggy, wait to garnish the cake until just before serving.