Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 pounds powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1-½ tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and shortening on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low, and slowly and incrementally incorporate the powdered confectioners’ sugar.
- Add the milk and the pure vanilla extract. Mix on medium-high speed for about 10 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add food coloring, as and if desired, and pipe or spread onto your dessert.
- Buttercream frosting can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. When it is time to use it, allow the frosting to come to room temperature for 2 hours, then whip the frosting for 10 minutes before using.
Simple enough, right?! This buttercream is absolutely dreamy, delicious and beautiful to behold all at once. This recipe is absolutely going to be our go-to for our baked treats in the future.
Now you tell us what you think! Do you like to use shortening in your buttercream frosting, or do you prefer to go the butter-only route? How does your usual recipe compare to this one? Do you have any tips or tricks of your own to share? Let us know if you give this one a try, and of course, come back to let us know how it turns out for you.