Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes (about 1 pound Roma tomatoes)
- 1 – 15-ounce can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup seeded and diced bell pepper, any color (about 1 medium pepper)
- ¾ cup red onion or shallot, small diced
- 1 – 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro (about ½ bunch fresh cilantro)
- 1 to 2 avocados, sliced (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, add the diced tomatoes, corn kernels, diced bell pepper, diced red onion, black beans, black-eyed peas, and minced jalapeño. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, cumin, minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Whisk the dressing ingredients together until well-combined.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl over the veggies. Add the cilantro, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight to blend flavors.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature, with sliced avocado or corn chips, as desired.
- If including the avocado, wait to slice until ready to serve, so it does not turn brown in the meantime.