Makes 10 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 10 cups popped popcorn (1 bag of microwave popcorn), no butter or salt
- 1-½ cups mixed nuts (or your favorite nut), toasted
- 1 cup broken pretzel twists
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius). Line 1 large or 2 smaller baking sheets with foil or a silicon baking mat.
- To the lined baking sheet(s), add the popped popcorn, the nuts, and the broken pretzel twists. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until thoroughly mixed. Bring the butter and sugar mixture up to a boil, stirring continuously. Cook the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the baking soda and stir well to combine. The caramel will change colors and foam up a bit.
- Drizzle the caramel mixture over the popcorn mixture. Use a spoon or spatula to gently combine the popcorn mixture with the caramel, until everything is evenly coated. Season the popcorn with salt, if using, while the caramel is still warm.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the popcorn mixture to cool until the caramel coating has set.
- Once cool, break the popcorn into small clusters.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 20 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Add ¼ to ⅓ of the coated and cooled popcorn to a bowl, drizzle with the melted chocolate and gently mix to coat.
- Spread the chocolate-coated popcorn onto a lined baking sheet and allow to cool until the chocolate sets.
- Add the chocolate-coated popcorn to the caramel-coated popcorn and mix to combine. Serve.
- Store in an airtight container or zip-top plastic bag.