Makes 1 9-inch cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can sliced pineapple, drained and pineapple juice reserved
- 13 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 cup sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Pour the melted butter into a 9-inch cake pan, coating the bottom. Sprinkle the brown sugar and half of the vanilla extract evenly over the top. Add 1 pineapple slice to the center of the pan. Arrange 6 pineapple slices, evenly spaced, around the center pineapple slice. Cut the remaining 3 pineapple slices in half, and place the half slices vertically around the side of the cake pan, with the rounded sides facing down.
- Add the maraschino cherries, if using, to the centers of the pineapple slices and in between each slice, and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until thick and lightened in color.
- Continue mixing and gradually add in the sugar. Add the reserved pineapple juice and the remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan over the pineapple slices. Use a spatula to spread the batter to the edges.
- Bake the cake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Use an offset spatula to run around the edge of the cake to help it release from the pan. Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes before placing a plate or platter over the top of the pan and carefully inverting it to release the cake.