Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium leeks (3 cups), rinsed and chopped
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup minced chives, for garnish
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add leeks, season with 1 tsp. salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, stock, water, bay leaf, thyme, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and falling apart. Remove from heat.
- For a slightly chunky texture, mash with a potato masher then puree slightly with an immersion blender.
- Season with more salt, as needed, and add heavy cream.
- Serve garnished with croutons and chopped chives.