Makes 2 – 9”x13” loaves.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 3 Hours
- 1 pkg. (2¼ tsp.) dry active yeast
- 1 ¾ cup warm water
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. chopped rosemary
- flaky sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and 2 Tbs. olive oil. Stir to dissolve. Allow mixture to sit a few minutes and to foam up before proceeding.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a hook, mix together both the flours and the salt. Add the yeast mixture and mix on medium-speed for 5-8 minutes, or until the dough has become smooth and elastic. (Dough can be mixed by hand in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until smooth. Knead by hand on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes.)
- Pour 2 Tsp. olive oil in a large bowl. Place dough into the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a towel, place in a warm place and allow to double in size, about 2 hours.
- Rub 1 Tsp. olive oil over the bottom and sides of a sheet pan. Punch the dough down and place on the prepared pan, stretch out the dough with your fingers to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with a towel, place in a warm place and allow to rise 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450℉ / 230℃. Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Remove towel from the dough and sprinkle with the chopped rosemary.
- Poke the dough down to make indentations all over the puffed focaccia dough. Drizzle 4 Tsp. olive oil over the dough and sprinkle generously with the sea salt.
- Place dough in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 375℉ / 190℃. Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove bread from sheet pan and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm.