- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 1½ tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ lb spicy or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 (14 oz) jar pizza sauce
- 1 (4 oz) sliced black olives, drained
- ½ cup pepperoni minis
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 1 Tbsp
- 16 slices mozzerella cheese
- 1 (15 oz) package potato dinner rolls (i.e. Martin)
- 16 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp melted butter plus ¼ tsp garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet heat a few drizzles of olive oil. Saute the diced onion, green pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Season with 1½ tsp dry Italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic salt, ½ tsp red pepper flakes and ¼ tsp black pepper.
- Add the ground beef and Italian sausage. Cook over medium high heat until no pink remains. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the pizza sauce, black olives, pepperoni minis and ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well then remove from the heat.
- Slice the rolls through the middle removing the top from the bottom half. Cover the bottom with cheese, cutting pieces to fit if needed.
- Spread the sloppy joe pizza sauce filling over the cheese, then repeat with another layer of cheese slices. Cover with the top..
- Mix the melted butter with ¼ tsp of garlic salt. Brush over the top of the rolls. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 25 minutes then uncover and continue to bake another 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Cut apart and serve.
The filling can be made in advance to save time. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator until assembling the sloppy joe pizza sliders.