Serves 4 – 6
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 3½ – 4½ Hours
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 qt. slow cooker
- aluminum foil
- butcher string
- Ball up 4 to 5 sheets of aluminum foil and place them, evenly spaced, into the bottom of a slow cooker to create a base for the chicken.
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. You want to absorb as much moisture as possible from the inside and the outside of the bird.
- Generously season the chicken, inside and out, with salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Tie the chicken’s legs together with string.
- Place the seasoned chicken on the center of the foil balls, and make sure that it’s not touching the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook for 2½ to 3½ hours on high (or 4 to 5 hours on low), until the internal temperature has reached 165°F / 75°C in the thickest part of the thigh.
- For crispy skin, preheat the oven to broil. Carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker, place it on a sheet pan, and broil it for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the skin has reached the desired crispiness.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes, then serve.