- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium glass bowl, combine the sugar, water, egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Set a saucepan of water on the stove to come to a simmer. Meanwhile, beat egg mixture with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Set bowl over simmering pan of water, forming a double boiler and continue beating on high for 7 minutes, until stiff and glossy.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, and beat 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Use immediately, frosting will set quickly.