Cook time: 12 Min Prep time: 25 Min Serves: 2
1 acorn squash
2 apples, 1 Fuji and 1 Granny Smith; peeled, cored, and chopped into a petite size
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 c white sugar
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
2 pinch Kosher salt
2 pinch black pepper
4 tsp brown sugar; separated
3 slice bacon; cooked and crumbled
1/4 c toasted walnuts; chopped
4 Tbsp salted butter; separated
1. Mix together the chopped apples and lemon juice.
2. Mix together the sugars and spice.
3. Combine the apples with the sugar and spice mixture.
4. Fold in the crumbled bacon and chopped walnuts. Set aside while you prepare the acorn squash. (That will give the apple filling time to have its flavors come together.)
5. Cut the acorn squash in half and remove seeds.
6. Set on a round microwave-safe dish and pierce the inside of the squash with a fork.
7. Melt 2 Tbsp of butter. Brush the inside of the squash with the melted butter.
8. Sprinkle 2 tsp of brown sugar and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper over acorn squash halves to season the squash.
9. Then microwave for 6 minutes.
10. Fill the squash with the apple filling. (Depending on the size of your squash you may have some extra filling leftover.) Dot the top of each squash with the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tsp of brown sugar over the filling.
11. Microwave again for 6 minutes.
12. Remove from the microwave. The dish will be hot so use pot holders to remove the dish from the microwave. Let it sit in the dish for a few minutes to cool. Then serve.