1/2 c boiling water
2 Tbsp shortening
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c evaporated milk
1/2 package dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 egg, beaten
3 3/4 c all purpose flour, sifted
1. In a large mixing bowl pour the boiling water over the shortening, sugar and salt. Add the milk and let it stand until warm.
2. In a small bowl dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add to the milk mixture with the egg. Stir in two cups flour and beat.
3. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning it to grease the top. Cover with wax paper and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
4. On a slightly floured surface roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 2 inch squares and fry in hot oil (350 degrees). Brown on one side then flip and brown on the other side
5. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot. This recipe will make about 2 dozen beignets.