Cook time: 1 Hr 30 Min Prep time: 5 Hr Serves: 5 – 6 dozen
1 pkg bacon (thick slices)
1/2 c brown sugar, lightly packed
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp each: baking powder and baking soda
4 Tbsp bacon drippings (that have cooled and become solid)
4 Tbsp margarine (softened)
1 stick buter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 c pecans (chopped coarsely)
3 c dark bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together: flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Put the brown sugar in a medium size bowl. Doing one strip of bacon at a time, put bacon in the bowl and totally coat with the brown sugar. Place the bacon flat on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all are done. Any left over sugar can be sprinkled onto the bacon in the baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes. Turn each piece of bacon over and baste with the bacon grease. Return to the oven and bake an additional 12 minutes (or until the bacon is well cooked and crisp… do not burn!). Remove from oven and set on rack to cool. Break up (or cut up) the bacon into small pieces the size of the chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Set aside until needed.
3. In a large bowl: Cream together the bacon grease, margarine, butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour mixture, when dough is done, fold in the bacon, nuts and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough in covered bowl for 3 hours minimum (I do mine over night).
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Drop a Tablespoon of cookie dough at a time onto the parchment paper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes (depending on your oven). The cookies should be golden brown. Don’t remove them from the pan right away, wait a couple of minutes first, them place cookies on a wire cooling rack. (If you don’t have a wire cooling rack, place on a wax paper lined surface to cool completely).
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK AND PIN IT!