3 c sifted cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c shortening
2 1/4 c granulated sugar
3 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
1 1/8 c buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c hot milk
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening (butter flavored crisco not recommended)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 c granulated sugar
1. BANANA CAKE: Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the shortening; gradually add sugar and continue creaming. Add beaten eggs and bananas and mix well.
3. Add the flour mixture alternately with the combined buttermilk and vanilla, beginning and ending with the flour.
4. Pour into two 9 inch layer pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes.
5. BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: Heat milk until very hot but not boiling.
6. Cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Gradually add cornstarch and sugar. Beat well after each addition, then add vanilla.
7. Add hot milk to sugar mixture a little at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until all the sugar dissolves and it is thick enough to spread. It’s very important to add the milk a little at a time or it will cause the frosting to curdle.