1 1/2 c cake flour
1 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (i use sea salt)
1 c milk ( i use 1%)
1 1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract*
2 large eggs, room temperature
USE YOUR FAVORITE FROSTING…GET CREATIVE
1. CAKE: Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside. I actually use Wilton Cake Release. I buy it at either Walmart or Michaels’. In your stand mixer bowl add the first five (5) ingredients and whisk together until well combined. Add milk, butter and vanilla* (plus 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract if so desired) and beat on low speed to combine. Now turn on medium speed and beat for two (2) minutes, scraping down sides after the first minute. Add whole eggs(not just the whites) and continue beating for an additional two (2) minutes on medium speed.
2. Pour evenly into your prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes. NOTE: You can also use 2 or 3 round cake pans. Check them for doneness at 20 – 25 minutes.
4. STRAWBERRIES: Wash and cap 1 pound of strawberries. Slice or chop and place into bowl.
5. Cover strawberries with 1/2 cup sugar, stir, cover and place in fridge for a couple of hours to marinate.
6. HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM: Place measuring cup and beaters in the bowl you will be using and place in refrigerator for a couple of hours.
7. Now measure out one (1) cup heavy whipping cream and beat on high for a couple of minutes or until it’s the consistency of cool whip. Fold in 1/2 cup powdered sugar and combine well.
8. This makes and excellent strawberry shortcake. Put a piece of this cake into a bowl, spoon on desired amount of sweetened strawberries and a big dollop of homemade whipped cream and top with more strawberries. Enjoy!