1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
3 Tbs tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Ro-tel)
12 ounces wide egg noodles
1 1/4 cups sour cream
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 Tbs cornstarch
4 green onions, chopped
8 oz Colby-Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a little mozzarella, too)
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Cook beef, onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is cooked through.
3. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking water then drain.
5. Whisk sour cream, cream cheese, cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the reserved water until smooth. Stir in green onions, noodles and remaining 1 1/2 cups of cooking water.
6. Spread noodle mixture in prepared baking dish. Cover the noodles with the beef mixture. Sprinkle the shredded cheeses evenly over the top of the beef mixture.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 to 8