1. In a large stovetop pan, add lard (or oil) and turn heat to medium.
2. Cut up shoulder roast to 1-inch cubes and add to pan. Roughly chop the tomato and add on top of meat.
3. Remove seeds from bell pepper. Rough chop and add to the top of ingredients.
4. Rough slice onion and add to the pan.
5. Chop garlic cloves small and thin and add to the top of the pan.
6. Add cumin, salt, and pepper.
7. Now stir all ingredients together. At this time the aromas should be AMAZING!
8. Place lid on top and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Stir occasionally.
9. 30 minutes before carne guisada is ready, add flour to the 1/2 cup water. Stir flour mixture into the pot.
10. Now you will notice that the vegetables have cooked down to practically nothing. They have converted to pure flavor!