Cook time: 40 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 4 servings
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 c spanish onions, chopped
4 c carrots, peeled, ends cut off and thinly sliced
3 c leftover mashed potatoes
6 c low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp herbes de provence
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp hot paprika
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp white pepper, or more to taste
1 large bay leaf
4 Tbsp 35% heavy cream (optional)
chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, add butter. When it starts foaming, add onions and stir just enough to coat them with butter. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 3 minutes
2. Add carrots, stir well, cover, increase the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. A couple minutes later, quickly stir well.
3. Add leftover mashed potatoes, combine them with the ingredients before pouring in the chicken broth. Add Herbes de Provence, rosemary, paprika, thyme and white pepper; stir well. Add bay leaf and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. When time is up, turn off the heat and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard it. Using an immersion blender, process until the soup is smooth with no lumps in it; taste and adjust if necessary.
5. Portion soup in warm bowls and drizzle 1 tbsp. per bowl with heavy cream and garnish with a parsley