“Cheesy red-sauced soup with pasta. Garnish with fresh parsley.”
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1 pound cooked breaded chicken breast (such as Perdue(R)), cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- coarse salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and red pepper flakes.
- Pour chicken broth and diced tomatoes into the pot. Bring soup to a simmer. Add pasta; cook until tender yet firm to the bite, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chicken; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Mix mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese into the soup before serving. Season with salt and pepper.