Cook time: 20 Min Prep time: 1 Hr 30 Min Serves: 24
1 box cake mix, Devils Food
1 c plain Greek yogurt, 8 oz
1 pkg No-Bake Jell-o Cheesecake mix
1 pkg milk chocolate chips
1/2 c milk
6-8 maraschino cherries, patted dry
1. Prepare your no-bake cheesecake filling. Follow instructions on package regarding milk and setting time. While cheesecake is setting, open up your package of cherries, place in a bowl, and using a very, very sophisticated method “aka a fork”, scoop out the big pieces of cherries and discard. Reason we do this is that the bigger pieces of cherries will not pipe thru, it will clog your tip. When cheesecake filling is set, fold in your cherries and set in fridge until ready to use.
2. Prepare cake mix according to baking directions substituting the “oil” in the recipe and adding the yogurt instead. Yogurt really enhances a recipe by literally allowing it to be denser but still keeping it very moist. This was exactly the flavor and consistency we were aiming for… a dense, moist piece of goodness!! Place liners in your cupcake tins and add your cake mixture till the cups are 2/3 full. Place in pre-heated oven and bake. When cupcakes are ready, take out and place on cooling rack. After a few minutes, remove the cups and place directly on cooling rack, let cool thoroughly (about 35-45 minutes).
3. Once cupcakes have cooled, use your favorite gadget to make holes into the center of each cupcake. Even though I recently purchased a cupcake plunger, I reverted back to my citrus corer. It makes just the right size hole… does that make sense? Maybe I’m just old fashioned!! 😉 Save your plugs. Using a pastry bag and a 21 tip (Wilton), scoop out 1/2 of your cherry cheesecake filling. Place in bag and proceed to fill cupcakes until almost to the top, see below.
4. Proceed to plug the filling with the cake plugs you just removed. You will probably have to cut some away because of the now filled cupcakes. You won’t need the entire plug.
5. Prepare your ganache. Using a microwave-safe bowl, add your chocolate chips and milk. Microwave in 30-second increments stirring thoroughly with whisk after each time. You will see the chocolate ganache become nice and glossy and smooth. This is when you know it’s ready. Note, ganache thickens upon standing. So, you can frost them two ways; you can dip the top of the cupcakes into the ready-made more thinner ganache, wait a few minutes and then double dip. Or you can wait a few minutes till the sauce has thickened a little bit and then dip once. That is my preferred method (you know I’m about easy right)? Place on cooling rack and let the ganache set for a few minutes.
6. Gather your maraschino cherries and the remainder of your cheesecake filling in the pastry bag. Place a small swirl of filling onto the center of each cupcake and then add a quartered maraschino cherry on top! Enjoy!!
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK AND PIN IT!