Makes 4-6 sandwiches
- 4 large cube steaks, thawed
- 1 package of brown gravy mix, about 2 cups prepared
- 1 small onion
- 1 package of sliced mushrooms
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic powder
- Hoagie rolls, toast them with butter in a pan if desired
- Sliced provolone or pepper jack cheese
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place the cube steak in it in a single layer.
- Chop the onions and mushrooms. Add them to a saute pan and add a splash of olive oil in and over medium heat until most of the water has cooked out of the mushrooms. Layer over the meat.
- Cook the gravy over medium heat in a saucepan according to package directions. When thick, pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake on 375-f degrees for about 30 minutes. Vegetables will be tender and meat will be cooked through. If needed, cut the cube steak to fit in the hoagie buns. Place meat on hoagie rolls. Pile on the onions and mushrooms. Top with slices of cheese.