1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sorghum or molasses
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 c raisins
3 c quick oats
1 c confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare cookie sheets with baking parchment or a silicone liner.
2. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in sorghum or molasses and the eggs until well blended. Stir together the flour, salt, soda, spices, and raisins. Add to the creamed mixture until well mixed.
3. Fold in the oats and stir well. Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets.
4. Bake for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow to set about 3 minutes on sheets, then remove to wire rack for cooling.
5. When cool, you can ice with royal icing. Combine icing ingredients and stir until smooth. Add a little bit more lemon juice if too thick, or more powdered sugar if too thin. Drizzle from the end of a teaspoon over cookies. Or, place a teaspoon of icing in a dollop on each cookie and spread with the back of the spoon. Allow to harden before storing.
6. I also discovered some leftover packaged cookie icing in my pantry, and decided to ice some of the cookies with this. You can make swirls or stripes.