“Get festive for fall with this easy weeknight meal of tender acorn squash boats brimming with smoked sausage, brown rice, herbs, and Parmesan.”
- 2 (1 pound) acorn squash
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 (14 ounce) package Hillshire Farm(R) Smoked Sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 (8.8 ounce) package cooked whole grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds and strings.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, arrange two squash halves, cut sides down; add in 2 tablespoons of the water. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave 7 to 10 minutes or until squash is just tender; keep warm. Repeat with the remaining squash halves.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 6 minutes or until browned, adding rice, 1/2 cup of the cheese, sage, thyme, and black pepper in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- To serve, fill squash halves with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.