2 pkg active dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/2 c warm milk
1 c softened butter
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp whole anise seeds
6-7 c all purpose flour
1 egg for wash
1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in water, let bubble.
2. Then blend all other ingredients in yeast water mixture, gradually add in flour.
3. Knead dough 5-10 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 5 hours.
4. Punch down after first rise, shape and place in greased loaf pans. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rise 2 more hours.
5. Mix one egg with 1 tablespoon of milk or water and brush tops of loaves. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
6. NOTE: If you have time, you can let this rise overnight, punch dough down and shape, put in pan and let rise 3 more hours, then bake.