This is the most delicious Italian cream cake ever. A must-have every Christmas or special occasion at our home. People ask for this recipe always. A bit labor-intensive, but well worth the effort.
To make this amazing Coconut Cream Cake Recipe You’ll need the following ingredients:
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 c shortening, Crisco
2 c sugar
5 egg yolk
5 egg whites, stiffly beaten-like meringue
2 c cake flour
1 tsp soda
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c pecan nuts, chopped
1 can(s) coconut, I usually use 1 bag complete coconut flakes
CREAMED CHEESE FROSTING:
8 oz packaged cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 box powdered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
1/2 stick butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 9-inch pans.
2. Cream butter and shortening: add sugar and beat mixture until smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well.
3. Combine flour, soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
4. Stir in vanilla. Add coconut and nuts.*
5. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Do not over stir.
6. Pour into three* greased and floured 9-inch pans. I usually only use two** round pans.
7. Let Cake completely cool before you frost.
8. Bake at 325 degrees until done.
9. * Save small amount, approx 1/4 cup of coconut and enough pecans for decorating the cake. **If you use 2 pans, bake for approx. 35-40 minutes. ***If you use 3 pans, bake for 30 minutes.
10. Cream Cheese Frosting:
11. Beat Cream cheese and butter until smooth.
12. Add sugar and mix well.
13. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
14. Spread between layers and on top of the cake. Sprinkle top with saved chopped pecans and coconut.
Please make sure to share this recipe with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest.