Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 6 to 8
5-6 c summer (yellow) squash, cut in chunks (about 4 to 6 squash, depending on size)
1 stick butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 can(s) cream of celery soup
1 c sour cream
2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1 c herbed stuffing mix
1 tube(s) ritz crackers, crushed
4-6 slice cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
chopped chives (optional)
1. PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 350-degrees. Melt butter over medium heat in large pot.
2. Chop squash into chunks. (thick slices are equally fine if that’s your preference). ADD to pot of melting butter.
3. Rough chop onion. ADD to pot of melting butter.
4. ADD salt & pepper to taste. I use about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. STIR ingredients together to coat with salt & pepper. Turn heat to LOW. COVER pot with lid and allow to cook for about 10 minutes until slightly soft. Don’t over-cook or the squash becomes mushy.
5. ADD Cream of Celery Soup, the sour cream and 1 c. of the shredded cheese.
6. CRUSH the Ritz Crackers. ADD half of the crushed crackers and the herbed stuffing mix to the squash, soup, sour cream and cheese mixture. STIR well.
7. Spray casserole dish with butter-flavored spray cooking oil. POUR mixture into the casserole dish. (I used an 8×8 in this photo but a larger casserole dish also works)
8. Sprinkle top with the cheese and remaining bread crumbs.
9. COVER with foil and BAKE at 350-degrees for approximately 30-minutes or until mixture is golden-brown and bubbly. (OPTIONAL): TOP with BACON. Return to oven un-covered for additional 10-minutes.
10. REMOVE from oven. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes and serve warm. Top with chopped chives before serving (optional).