Cook time: 20 Min Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 8 as a side dish; 4 for a hearty lunch
1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp tangy Dijon mustard
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 jar(s) Hormel real 50% less fat bacon bits (or pieces)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 c (more or less, to taste) finely crushed pork skins (pork rinds)
1 green onion, sliced, for garnish (optional)
1. Steam cauliflower florets in about 1/2 inch of water in a covered dish in the microwave about 6 minutes or until slightly tender. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. While cauliflower steams, melt butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart saucepot. Lightly saute onion for 1-2 minutes, until soft.
3. Slowly pour in 1 cup heavy whipping cream.
4. Add Dijon mustard, stirring the mixture well. Reduce heat if necessary to prevent scorching.
5. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar, stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in bacon pieces, salt, and pepper.
7. Drain cauliflower. Add cauliflower and stir to coat.
8. Pour into a buttered or olive-oil coated 2-quart casserole dish.
9. Dust the top with crushed pork rinds. (No need to butter the pork rinds as their natural oils will brown and crisp them nicely.)
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly. If the top begins to over-brown, you may cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
11. If desired, garnish with chopped scallions (green onions). Serve hot.