Makes 4 dozen
- 1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- 12oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 bars (4 oz. each) semisweet chocolate –cut into 1/2-inch squares and the rest for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 24 large marshmallows
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Using a lined baking sheet, scoop about a tablespoon of the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet.
- Bake in the center of the oven, until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and press 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven; gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake, on the top rack, until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. *Store the remaining cookie dough in the fridge while you are baking to keep it cool.
- Let cookies cool for 5 minutes; grate the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to cooling rack; let cool slightly.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK AND PIN IT!