It’s got all the ingredients for a pina colada, including rum, and even has chocolate, whipped cream and a cherry on top! Give it a try… a little bit of work, but oh so worth it! And don’t even go near that bathroom scale!! Our challenge for this week (ending Oct.1, 2011) was to make a sweet sammie w/8 ingredients or less… this is my creation.
Cook time: 5 Min Prep time: 24 Hr 15 Min Serves: 2
2 flour tortillas (8″ diameter)
1 medium banana
1 c melted milk chocolate chips
1/2 c chunk pineapple, drained (about 6-8 pieces)
1/4 c coconut, sweetened
1 tsp rum (I used Captain Morgan Spiced Rum)
1/2 c toasted & salted pecans, chopped
Reddi-wip whipped cream (in a can)
2 maraschino cherries
1. The day before: In small bowl, place drained pineapple and coconut; add about 1 tsp. rum (I used Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum). Stir to combine well. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. The liquid should be mostly absorbed when you’re ready to use it.
2. Place chocolate in microwave on low heat until it is melted; I had to add a 1/2 tsp. of oil to get it to keep from getting hard before I got it all used up.
3. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on 40% power for about 30 seconds, until they are warm and pliable.
4. Peel and slice banana in half and then slice it lengthwise (4 pcs). Spread 1 Tbsp melted chocolate on center of tortilla, just what the banana pieces will cover; lay banana pieces side by side, cut side up; drizzle just a few drops of chocolate on bananas; top with pineapple/coconut mixture (about 6 pcs. of pineapple fit on top of bananas). Drizzle with a little bit more chocolate!
5. Sprinkle some chopped pecans over and then roll up as for a burrito, keeping it as taut as you can and fold in sides. I used toothpicks to keep it closed (see pic).
6. Deep fry in oil for about 3-4 minutes, until they are crisp and light brown. Remove with tongs and place on paper towel on a rack. Let cool.
7. When cool, drizzle yet a little more chocolate over and then squirt a nice amount of whipped cream in center of top, then put a cherry on that. Sprinkle with a few more pecans.
8. This is NOT finger food, you’ll have to cut with a sharp knife and eat it with a fork…Enjoy!