This cake is so good. I like mine warm with a scoop of ice cream.
2 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 c white sugar
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/4 c vegetable shortening
5 large eggs
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
3 c cake flour
1 c milk
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 can(s) crushed pineapple, 15 oz
1/4 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 stick butter, unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine the brown and white sugar in the large bowl of your Kitchen Aid mixer.
3. Then add the 2 sticks of soft butter and shortening. Beat until it is creamy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. In another large bowl, sift together the baking powder and flour 3 times.
6. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the vanilla and combine.
7. For this cake, you can use a 13 or 15-inch baking dish sprayed with Pam. In the oven melt the 1/2 stick of butter in the dish.
8. Now add your pineapple and brown sugar.
9. Pour your cake batter over pineapple mixture.
10. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, more or less time depending on how your oven cooks. Test cake in the middle with a wooden skewer or toothpick.
11. Remove from oven and let cool 10 or so minutes. Then loosen sides of cake with a knife. Place a cookie sheet over top of the cake & flip it carefully. Let cool or warm before slicing depending how you like your cake.