1 pkg spice cake mix
1/2 c water
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c canned pumpkin (not pie mix)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spices
1/2 c chopped nuts (i used walnuts)
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c shredded coconut
2 tsp hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 jar(s) marshmallow creme (7 oz)
1/2 c shortening
1/3 c confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spices
2 Tbsp canned pumpkin (optional) **see note**
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, add your nuts, coconut & raisins. Cut off the top of cake mix and add 2 tbls of cake mix to your ingredients. Stir thoroughly to make sure all ingredients are coated. This will ensure even distribution to your muffins.
2. In your stand up mixer, or using a hand mixer and a bowl, add your cake mix. Add the rest of ingredients. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
3. Fold in your nut mixture. Spray muffin tins with non stick cooking spray. Using a 1/4 c measure scoop batter into muffin tins. Bake for 17-19 minutes, (mine took 17).
4. Meanwhile, as muffins are baking, you can start on your spiced marshmallow cream.
5. In a small bowl, combine hot water and salt. Nuke for 30 seconds till all salt is diolved.
6. Using your mixer, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the salt mixture and beat for 1 more minute. Using your pastry bag or plastic bag, insert star pastry tip, add cream and chill till ready to use.
7. Remove muffins from oven. Let rest on cookie rack for 1-2 minutes, then remove from tins and let them cool thoroughly.
8. Using a citrus corer or whatever you prefer. Insert citrus corer into top of muffins. Make a hole thru the muffin, but ensuring you don’t go all the way thru to the bottom.
9. Continue with rest of muffins. Fill with marshmallow creme. **Note: if you don’t have a pastry bag, a ziplock bag with the corner snipped works just fine. **
10. Enjoy!! **Note: I have made the marshmallow cream without the canned pumpkin as well. The cream is very good either way. Without the pumkpkin, they have a more striking appearance.