1. PIE CRUST
2. In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat the preserves until the jam part becomes liquid. Mix in cornstarch.
3. When thickened slightly, spread into bottom of the blind-baked, cooled pie shell.
4. Set aside. Allow perserves to gel. They will be tacky to the touch.
5. CREAM PIE FILLING
6. Line up premeasured ingredients next to the stove.
7. In a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan, whisk dry ingredients.
8. Add milk, whisking to make sure all dry ingredients are dissolved.
9. Place sauce pan over medium flame. Stir constantly until thickened. It will take between 5 and 8 minutes for the milk mixture to become as thick as homemade cream gravy.
10. Remove from the flame. With a ladle, mix about 1/3 of the thickened milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
11. Once mixed, add back to the the milk mixture. Return to flame.
12. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from flame.
13. Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until mixed.