Cook time: 2 Hr Prep time: 30 Min Serves: 8-10
7-8 lb bone-in ham
2 Tbsp whole cloves
2 c dark brown sugar
1 1/2 c unsweetened pineapple juice
2 1/2 c sangria or burgundy wine (if you only have a red house wine, it’s ok)
1 tsp orange zest
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the ham in a large roaster pan with the fat side up. Use a sharp knife to score the ham 1/4-inch deep. Place whole cloves on top in a line about 1/2-inch apart, be sure to use plenty.
2. Pack the top of the ham with the brown sugar to coat the surface. It is okay if brown sugar falls into the pan, it will incorporate into the sangria.
3. Roast, uncovered, until the sugar begins to melt, about 20 minutes.
4. During this time, mix together the pineapple juice, sangria wine, and orange peel in a bowl.
5. After 20-25 minutes, the sugar should have started to melt. Remove ham from oven and turn the heat down to 325. Pour 1 cup of the wine mixture over the sugared ham.
6. Return the ham to the oven for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven. Baste the ham with a second cup of wine, stirring it into the pan mixture created at the bottom.
8. Cover the ham with foil and cook for another 40-45 minutes in the oven.
9. Remove from oven. Uncover the ham, baste and bake uncovered for 20 more minutes.
10. Remove uncovered ham, baste one final time and let stand for 10 minutes. Voila!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!