Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 10-12
3 lb yellow squash, sliced or diced
1/2 c diced Vidalia onion, optional
1 can(s) cream of mushroom or chicken soup, 10.5 oz.
1 c mayonaise
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is my favorite)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Wash and slice squash into small medallions or dice into smaller pieces if the squash is large. I prefer smaller sized squash since it is tender. Put squash into a large bowl for mixing with the filling.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the soup, mayo, eggs, cheese, onions, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour over squash.
5. Stir until well mixed.
6. Then pour into a casserole dish for baking.
7. Crush crackers while in “tubes” (I usually wrap them in a dish towel to avoid a mess, and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer) or place in a resealable plastic bag.
8. Pour crushed crackers into a bowl. Melt butter in the microwave and stir into crackers until moist.
9. Drizzle on top of casserole. (You can make more or less of the topping. More topping = more yummy!)
10. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and brown on top (usually 45-50 minutes). Bake for 30 minutes covered. with foil to help prevent crackers from burning.
11. Then uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
12. ***If you want, you can add a cup of chopped cooked chicken into casserole. Also, adding 2 cups of cooked rice into it makes a delish meal.