2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 pkg refrigerated pie crusts (15 oz package)
4 Tbsp butter, unsalted melted
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 c sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 c buttermilk
1. Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender.
2. Cool 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
3. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate.
4. Fold edges under and crimp.
5. Prick bottom and sides of pie crust with a fork.
6. Bake at 450 for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Reduce oven temperature to 375.
7. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.
8. Scoop out sweet potatoes into a medium bowl.
9. Mash until smooth.
10. Stir in butter and next 4 ingredients until well combined.
11. Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale.
12. Add sugar and whisk 1 1/2 minutes or until lemon-yellow color.
13. Stir egg yolk mixture into sweet potato mixture until well blended.
14. Add flour 1 tsp at a time; stirring until blended after each addition. Add buttermilk and stir until combined.
15. Whisk egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form.
16. Gently fold into sweet potato mixture until blended.
17. Spoon sweet potato mixture into pie crust.
18. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until center is set.
19. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 1/2 hours or until completely cool. Or, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 8 hours. Serve at room temperature. Serve with desired toppings.