Cook time: 2 Hr Prep time: 30 Min Serves: 8-12 per loaf
3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp cloves, ground
2 c water
1 c strong brewed coffee
1 box raisins (15 oz.)
1 box dates, chopped (8 oz.)
3/4 c butter
4 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 c chopped pecans
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 c pecans, halved
2 Tbsp bourbon or rum (optional)
1. Combine first eight ingredients in a saucepan and bring to low boil while stirring continually. Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove to cool.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. Once cooled to lukewarm, slowly stir the liquid spice/fruit mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour into two large well-greased loaf pans.
4. Arrange pecan halves in a decorative pattern on the top of the loaves.
5. Bake 1 hour at 300 degrees.
6. With a brush, gently apply a coat of corn syrup over the cakes. (A few tablespoons of bourbon or rum may be added to the corn syrup.)
7. Continue baking one hour, or until a toothpick come out of the cakes cleanly. Cool.
8. For an adult dessert, a few tablespoons of bourbon or rum can be poured on each slice prior to serving.